The Calvary in Kindberg ... a jewel worth seeing one of the most beautiful Calvary Austria - Great Calvary Church and facility with 13 stations (chapels, grottos, figures).The Calvary is located about one kilometer southwest of the city center slightly raised above the city Kindberg on a level with the Church of St. George northwest of Calvary and the Oberkindberg castle with the castle chapel northeast.
All three church buildings are exactly 1,023 meters apart. Whether this is coincidence? The Calvary itself is situated on a natural basalt rock. Around the church are the chapels, caves and sculptures with scenes from the Passion of Christ , as arranged in a Baroque theater. The church is the Mount of Olives scene also the first station . The 13 Stations of the Kindberger Calvary show life-size figures made of wood and stone of high quality, which have been partly created by renowned artists such as by Veit Koniger , Ren.Michael Holzer. Model for the system was undoubtedly the Calvary in Graz. In 1661 , when the government acquired Abundio Inzaghi in Oberkindberg castle, he founded the Calvary Kindberger 6000 guilders , his son Johann Anton later admitted as much . In 1674 he had his manager Joachim Neni lay the foundation to Calvary. In 1682 the Calvary system was started with the construction, the inauguration took place on 3 May 1686 by the Seckauer Prince Bishop Johann Ernst Graf von Thun . Between 1686 and 1715, eight hermits lived on Calvary Mount.
Today, the religious life of the Calvary focused on fasting - and passions. Of particular importance is the so-called Fridays Mountain. Except for fasting and passions Lent were the holidays cross discovery (May 3) and Holy Cross ( 14.Sept . ) especial celebrated. Also present will be held on these two days Calvary inspections and services. The Calvary association has a very strong will - to conduct tours on Calvary - advance registration.