The castle "Burg Chaffenberch" is mentioned in a document for the first time in 1173.
The current castle was erected around 1264. It was the residence and administrative seat of the Counts of Stubenberg and the seat of the regional High Court for most of the Mürz Valley.
Around 1550 it was converted into a Renaissance fortress that was abandoned in 1739 and fell into disrepair.
After 1955 the Stubenberg Family rebuilt their ancestral fortress within the old walls and adapted it into a castle hotel.
1992 Purchased by the City of Kapfenberg.
Today Burg Oberkapfenberg is a cultural and culinary attraction of more than regional importance.